To me, joy is the feeling I get when I experience something pleasant that’s also unexpected. Usually an act of thoughtfulness exhibited by another person, creature, or company.
Considering how little effort it takes, it’s in very short supply.
Acts that you can do to spark joy in others:
- Smile at a stranger
- Hold the door open for people behind you
- Ask for the names of service workers, especially in restaurants
- Ask about how a customer service worker’s day is going and where they’re calling from
- Buy a cup of coffee for the person behind you in line at the coffee shop
- Help an elder cross the street, if you find them
- Let your friends know you appreciate them
- Call your family: especially close family
- Call an old friend you’ve been out of touch with
- Offer to get coffee for your coworker
- Offer to pick up lunch for a friend
- Tell your friends what their strengths are
- Take a candid picture of a friend and send it to them later
- Send a handwritten letter to an old teacher or professor
There are many more things I can probably add to this list.
If you have any suggestions, comment below!